Wednesday 11 July 2012

The "Hush Hush" Commission for Dave's Birthday

G'day, how are you today?
Today is July 11th and the day I can show you the card that has been hush hush until now. You may recall that the brief was for a Red and Black card. I can now tell you why.

The story starts in December 2011 when I received my first commission from Gail (Dave's Wife) to make him a Christmas card; and more critically that this would be a key component of her gift to him.

OK no pressure!
I thought about what I would do for a while. Then I happened to be in the Reject Shop in Coffs Harbour and they had some Fabulous Gift boxes on sale - - - and I found the perfect box.

It inspired the card. Let me show you . . . .




It was a BIG box about 12" tall and 9" wide and about 3" deep. I placed it on our Lounge floor to photograph the lid and the base together.

In the bottom of the box wrapped in red tissue paper would be Chocolates, Sweets, Christmas Cookies etc. the card would sit on top as shown here.

My next pictures show this in more detail
. . . . Take a look . . .



Here is a close up view of Dave's Christmas card.

So, the reason for his Birthday card being Red and Black was because "THE BOX" was to make its appearance again.
My card would need to be another large one, if it wasn't to look lost in the box. The finished card size of his Birthday card is 81/2" x 9". 


Here it is:


How did I construct it?
I began by creating the card base by matting and layering DCWV Black card-stock, on top a red card-stock layer (from my stash bought at Office Works).

Then on my computer I used the small (and FREE) program that you may have come across called Wordle - word clouds.
By entering a whole heap of words you generate a word cloud.

This is a reiterative process until you are happy with the look. You can change the orientation and font (to some extent).

Once I got the layout I liked, I printed off Two copies. I intended to do some colouring and decoupage.




I adhered one of the printed sheets onto the top of the card ensuring I cut it out with a white border. On the bottom of the card I added a black piece of card stock. I used a piece of diagonal striped black and white ribbon from my stash and covered the join.

Next I coloured the second printed sheet using my red Copics: R29, R27, R24. Then I cut some of the words out and decoupaged them onto the card in the appropriate place. I used Spica Clear and Red pens to add a bit of shine to the words I had coloured.

It's amazing where you get your inspiration from isn't it? I saw a card made by one of the Blogsters I follow and she had used the New Wild Rose Studio - DIY Legend A7 Clear Stamp Set and I knew it would be a stamp that I would use, so got myself one. NOW was when it was exactly what I needed. I coloured it with a variety of "N" and "C" type Copic pens. As it was a bit like a James Bond image and I thought I would add 0054 not 007. (Can you guess why???).

I looked on Google and came across a copyright free Drill Bit image. Then I made some quick pennants by hand, using red card-stock and added the numbers using gold peel-offs. The white lines were made with a Motolow paint pen. I placed these pennants over red and white bakers twine and attached them to the Drill bit image I had printed off.







To finish off the card I added a couple of Antique Silver Franchecille metal charm embellishments. Then used Xmas Red and Crystal Stickles to add a bit of glitter.













For inside the card I used Word Art on my computer and played around with colours and layouts to make the image you see here. I printed out the words and fussy cut them out; sticking them onto red card-stock which created the matted layer on the inside of the card.













Here are the details of most of the ingredients I used to make this card:
InLinkz.com

Thanks very much for stopping by to read about the "Hush Hush" card. I certainly enjoyed making it - once I knew what the main concept would be! Hope your day is going well.


2 comments:

  1. Loved them both - well done yet another fantastic couple of ideas that really work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare - it's lovely to get your feedback. Hugs and stuff to you and yours. S-A xxxx

      Delete

Hello, if you have a minute I would love to hear from you and read your comments. Just fill out the box designed to help you do this. I really look forward to reading every comment; so please leave a few words when you drop by - Thanks, I really love and appreciate it.
Sally-Ann (Sazz)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...